Tuesday, May 17, 2011

If...

...my baby weren't teething
...my laundry was folded
...I didn't feel grumpy
...I could always find the remote
...my favorite pair of jeans weren't too tight
...my 2 year old would take a nap
...I had some ice cream in my freezer
...Chloe would just PLEASE take a nap right now
...I had that necklace I've had my eye on
...my baby would just EAT
...Addie wouldn't scratch her legs until they bleed
...I could find all the matches to widowed socks
...dinner were planned for tonight
...I had time to read the stack of books on my nightstand
...I were on time everywhere I go
...my friends' adoption would just go quickly without any hitches
...I quit picking my nails
...I could make it through a day without Dr. Pepper
...I had perfect vision
...I hadn't lost a baby
...I had an iPhone
...my favorite shoes didn't stink
...Chloe would sleep through the night
...my floors were spotless
...Emma would listen to me
...my mom lived closer
...I finished the curtains for Brody's room
...I had a quiet time every day
...I could get flowers planted in my yard
...Gary worked less
...I would just remember to keep my phone charged
...I could just get three stars on every level of Angry Birds
...my grandparents weren't aging so fast
...Brody were potty-trained
...I just knew how to be the perfect parent
...Emma had a best friend
...we had an extra bedroom
...I didn't have to pay that speeding ticket
...I could make a decision about school for next year
...I had more time and energy
...I weren't so tired...

THEN would life be perfect?

No.

And so today, I learn how to be content.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."
(Phil. 4:11-12)

And it's hard.  So I'll learn it again tomorrow and the next day too.

And I'll remember that none of this matters next to seeking the Lord.  And am I doing that first?  No, not always.

But what if...

...I did put God first each day?
...I made my quiet time a priority?
...I memorized scripture consistently?
...I prayed for strength and endurance and energy?
...I wanted God more than all of my own "wants"?

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."  (Matt. 6:33)

Ohhhhh.

And so since my baby may not sleep through the night anytime soon, and since it's too rainy this week to plant any flowers, and since laundry is never really done and since I can probably find a way to live without Dr. Pepper, I'll take this verse to heart:

"Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you."  (Psalm 73:25)

And maybe everything else won't matter.

9 comments:

  1. i needed that today, friend. :) thanks for the reminder and encouragement. (even if it was just for you to get out here in the blogosphere - i benefitted from it!) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SOOOOOOOO needed this today (and yesterday and the day before) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Angie. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and you, we were feeling the same things today...I love your list of what ifs, they made me laugh, and remember that there also many what ifs on MY list. Psalm 73:25 was one of the verses we focused on this past weekend - thanks for reminding me again today. Aiming to be content right along with you friend! : ) love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! Thank you thank you! Where I'm 'living' these days too! Grace to you sister! Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. very well stated ... a lot of wisdom in that post.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I hate to tell you but your life would be perfect if you had an IPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or you could call your sister back and together we could talk about our imperfect lives or I'll listen while you vent or we could just distract one another for a while with laughter, plan a crafty day, plan a sister day...or plan a baby shower (oh, yeah, that's what you're supposed top call me about!) Love you!! And thanks for thus post, definitely good reminders in this world of "wants". xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for that!:).... perfectly said and it touched me this morning! blessings today:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...